What is Model-based Systems Engineering (MBSE) and what are the benefits?
We are well and truly embedded into the next industrial revolution, with new technological advances paving the way for the future at every turn. As well as the products we create, how we make them is changing just as rapidly. We’ve seen the emergence of virtual twin technology, VR and AR, and model-based-systems-engineering (MBSE) is another example. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at MBSE, what it is and what we can expect as this technology is adopted.
What is Model-Based-Systems-Engineering (MBSE)?
INCOSE defines MBSE as “Model-based systems engineering (MBSE) is the formalized application of modelling to support system requirements, design, analysis, verification and validation activities beginning in the conceptual design phase and continuing throughout development and later life cycle phases.”
How does MBSE differ from traditional systems engineering?
In its simplest form, MBSE replaces document-centric engineering with a model-based approach while implementing a single source of truth.
MBSE allows design and engineering teams to develop a comprehensive set of models that define, design, and document a system or collection of connected systems while under development. Traditionally, this would have been done through document-centric exercises before testing with physical implementation. MBSE replaces this traditional approach and drives a model-based approach, bringing together a complete view of all connected systems.
These models are then used to test, validate, iterate, and review systems both individually and in the context of each other.
What are the benefits of MBSE?
- Create, validate and integrate systems virtually
- Assess properties and behaviors of systems quickly and efficiently
- Make more informed design decisions sooner in the development cycle
- Create a complete view of each connected system, individually and in the context of each other
- Create a common standards-based approach to documenting the system that can be programmatically validated to remove inconsistencies within the models and enforce the use of a standard by all stakeholders
- Provide a single source of truth by creating a connected model, with all design, system, compliance, analysis, etc. information built-in
- Improved communications among the stakeholders
- Increased ability to manage system complexity by enabling a system model to be viewed from multiple perspectives and analyze changes’ impact
- Improved ability to teach and learn systems engineering by providing an unambiguous representation of the concepts
Model-Based-Systems-Engineering Tools on the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform
In 2018, Dassault Systèmes acquired No Magic, which includes the Cameo MBSE technology. The No Magic solutions are integrated into the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to develop a best-in-class Model-based System Engineering and System of Systems Engineering Solution and include an offering called CATIA Magic.
What is CATIA Magic?
CATIA Magic is a software product that Dassault Systems developed. It is a tool for creating and managing large assemblies in a 3D environment, focusing on design for manufacturability and assembly processes. CATIA Magic enables the creation and management of digital representation of products and their components, which can be used to analyze and validate the design from various aspects, including mechanical and electrical compatibility, reliability, and maintainability.
CATA Magic’s Targeted Capabilities
CATIA Magic provides standards-based analyzing, designing, and simulating your systems of systems for the following industries:
- Software Engineering
- Model-Based Systems Engineering
- Enterprise Architecture
- Government and Defense
- Business Architecture and Design
CATIA Magic’s Solution Packages
The CATIA Magic solutions are the most robust and standards-compliant in the market and have seven key solution packages:
- Systems of Systems Architect
- Cyber Systems Engineer
- Software Architect
- Model Analyst
- Collaboration Studio
- ALF Analyst
- Real-Time Communication Designer
Model-Based Systems Engineering with TriMech Enterprise Solutions
Our TriMech Enterprise Solutions team is experienced with implementing a model-based approach for systems engineering and carrying out projects in-house. We can support you in defining, developing, and implementing a model-based method that suits your requirements.
Enterprise & Business Transformation
- System Implementation, Customization and Deployment
- Business Consultancy
- Training and Support
Modernizing the Defense Industry: Top 5 Critical Enablers of Digitization and Success
The defense industry is at a crossroads in the current era of competing priorities. Nations desire peace and the opportunity to excel in a world of complex geo-political theater while also needing to balance social investment with investments in new, more affordable, and capable defense platforms versus maintaining and sustaining existing defense assets. This complex…
Modernizing the Defense Industry: Core Areas for Development
Nations worldwide invest heavily in advanced, sustainable, and adaptable solutions to counter evolving threats. This article delves into the crucial development areas that will shape the future of defense and ensure a more secure world.
What is MBSE? Understanding the Concept and the Basics
What is MBSE? What are the boundaries of MBSE? What are the benefits of MBSE? Find out more in our blog.