What is Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE)?
INCOSE defines MBSE as “Model-based systems engineering (MBSE) is the formalized application of modelling to support system requirements, design, analysis, verification and validation activities beginning in the conceptual design phase and continuing throughout development and later life cycle phases.”
What are the benefits of MBSE?
- A better understanding of the mission, scenarios, and stakeholder needs.
- Helps to define a consistent and complete system specification for the product designers through behavioral and structural analysis.
- Specify with accuracy not only the static description of the interfaces, usually described in requirements but also the dynamic exchange of the interfaces that is inherent to complex systems.
- Prevent costly late rework by understanding system behavior upfront, before prototypes are available.
- Support cross-disciplinary collaboration around a system model based on dedicated views per engineering concern.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does MBSE differ from traditional systems engineering?
In its simplest form, MBSE replaces document-centric engineering with a model-based approach while implementing a single source of truth.
MBSE allows design and engineering teams to develop a comprehensive set of models that define, design, and document a system or collection of connected systems while under development. Traditionally, this would have been done through document-centric exercises before testing with physical implementation. MBSE replaces this traditional approach and drives a model-based approach, bringing together a complete view of all connected systems.
These models are then used to test, validate, iterate, and review systems both individually and in the context of each other.
What's the difference between No Magic, Cameo, and CATIA Magic?
In 2018, Dassault Systèmes completed the acquisition of No Magic (the leader in model-based systems engineering, and modeling solutions for software architecture and business processes) to strengthen its foothold in Systems Engineering and in order to facilitate new connected experiences.
The No Magic solutions are integrated into the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to develop a best-in-class Model-based System Engineering and System of Systems Engineering solution and offering called CATIA Magic. The CATIA Magic solutions are the most robust and standards-compliant MBSE solutions in the market.