In this article, we explore the three pillars of sustainable mobility and discuss how they can be harnessed
Sustainable mobility is a crucial aspect of our collective efforts to combat climate change and reduce our carbon footprint. An integrated platform strategy enables automotive manufacturers, suppliers, and other stakeholders to collaborate and develop greener vehicles and processes. The three core pillars of sustainable mobility – 3D vehicle simulation, first-time-right manufacturing, and optimized after-sales performance – can all be achieved using an integrated platform such as Dassault Systèmes’ 3DEXPERIENCE.
In this article, we’ll explore these pillars in detail and discuss how they can be harnessed to advance the goals of sustainable mobility.
Pillar 1: 3D Vehicle Simulation
- Virtual Twin for Sustainable Vehicle Design: One of the most critical aspects of developing sustainable vehicles is reducing the need for physical prototypes. By creating a virtual twin of a vehicle, stakeholders can analyze and optimize designs, leading to more efficient and environmentally friendly vehicles. 3D vehicle simulation allows for experimentation with various configurations, materials, and systems, resulting in zero-emission vehicles with high durability and recyclability.
- Integrated Platform for Efficient Collaboration: Using a single platform that connects all stakeholders fosters innovation and minimizes late-issue discoveries. With the virtual twin, manufacturers and suppliers can rapidly optimize battery performance, and electric drive engineering, and ensure compliance with the Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP). This approach not only saves costs but also reduces the environmental impact of traditional prototyping processes.
- Accelerating Sustainable Mobility with 3D Simulation: In addition to reducing the need for physical prototypes, 3D vehicle simulation enables stakeholders to collaborate more effectively, sharing knowledge and expertise to address challenges in design and engineering. This collaborative approach also accelerates the development process, allowing for faster deployment of sustainable vehicles to the market and ultimately reducing the overall carbon footprint of the transportation sector.
Pillar 2: First-Time-Right Manufacturing
- Virtual Twin Solutions Enable Sustainable Manufacturing Process: Sustainable mobility goes beyond designing eco-friendly vehicles; it also involves efficient and sustainable manufacturing processes. An integrated platform enables manufacturers to collaborate virtually, exploring various factory configurations on a virtual twin without impacting actual production. This approach leads to more effective decision-making and reduces waste, energy consumption, and overall environmental impact.
- First-Time-Right Manufacturing Leads To Sustainable And Efficient Production Processes: First-time-right manufacturing ensures that the production process is as efficient and sustainable as possible. By working together on a single platform, stakeholders can explore options, optimize processes, and make informed decisions that minimize waste, reduce energy consumption, and promote a more sustainable supply chain.
The benefits of first-time-right manufacturing extend beyond environmental considerations. Improved efficiency in production processes also leads to cost savings, shorter production cycles, and a reduced need for rework and adjustments. These benefits ultimately translate to a more competitive and profitable automotive industry, incentivizing further investment in sustainable mobility solutions.
Pillar 3: Optimized After-Sales Performance
- Leveraging Virtual Twins For Optimal Vehicle Servicing and Maintenance: The sustainability of a vehicle extends beyond its manufacturing and into its after-sales performance. The virtual twin plays a critical role in ensuring optimal vehicle servicing and maintenance. By connecting the physical vehicle to its virtual twin, manufacturers can access data on usage patterns, performance, driving conditions, and servicing requirements.
- Data-Drive Prescriptive Maintenance To Improve Sustainability and Customer Satisfaction: This information can be used for prescriptive maintenance, extending the life of the vehicle and reducing its overall environmental impact. Accenture’s case study reported that the virtual twin increased vehicle life by up to 30 per cent through such applications. Optimized after-sales performance not only benefits the environment but also enhances customer satisfaction and loyalty.
Furthermore, the data collected from the virtual twin can inform future vehicle designs, leading to improvements in sustainability, efficiency, and overall performance. This feedback loop creates a cycle of continuous improvement, driving the automotive industry towards increasingly sustainable solutions.
Sustainable Mobility on a Single Platform
The 3DEXPERIENCE platform and virtual twin solutions are powerful tools that can help achieve sustainable mobility within the autonomous vehicle industry. The three pillars of sustainable mobility – 3D vehicle simulation, first-time-right manufacturing, and optimized after-sales performance – all benefit from an integrated platform that allows for efficient collaboration and informed decision-making.
By leveraging the virtual twin, stakeholders can reduce the need for physical prototypes, optimize manufacturing processes, and enhance after-sales performance, leading to greener vehicles and strategies, reduced costs, and improved customer satisfaction. The automotive industry is crucial in combating climate change, and the 3DEXPERIENCE platform provides a critical tool for achieving sustainable mobility goals.
TriMech Enterprise Solutions Virtual Twin Technology on the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform
By leveraging Virtual Twin technology on the 3DEXPERIENCE platform, you can instantly gather valuable insight into the real-world performance of products and processes to improve operational resiliency, reduce costs and gain a competitive advantage with cloud-based manufacturing solutions. Contact us to learn more.