Plastic Injection Engineer
Validate and optimize plastic part and mold tooling designs with plastic injection simulation software to determine filling, packing, warpage and mold cooling early in the product development process using the Plastic Injection Engineer Role
The SIMULIA 3DEXPERIENCE Plastic Injection Engineer (IME) Role enables the validation and optimization of plastic part and mold tooling designs by simulating the filling, packing, warpage and mold cooling.
Plastic Injection Engineer brings easy-to-use plastic injection molding simulation software directly to the designers of plastic parts and injection molds. It simulates how melted plastic flows during the injection molding process to predict manufacturing-related defects on plastic parts. You can quickly evaluate manufacturability while you design, to eliminate costly part redesign, improve part quality, and accelerate time to market. Plastic part designers and product developers can analyze and modify designs at the same time as optimizing for form, fit, and function. Mold tool designers can evaluate and optimize the feed system and cooling circuit designs. Specialist users can link to Structural & Process Apps to tackle advanced workflows.
Minimal simulation knowledge is needed and workflows are made easy through a guided simulation assistant. You can leverage runner and cooling layouts created in CATIA Mold & Tooling Designer Apps or import them from any CAD system. Single-cavity, multi-cavity, and family mold layouts, including sprues, runners, and gates can be analyzed to obtain estimated cycle time, clamp tonnage, and shot size. This enables you to optimize feed system design and avoid costly mold rework. Both hot, and cold-runner systems can be analyzed and so can valve gates. Users can analyze simple or complex mold cooling line layouts. This includes mold cooling inserts, optimize cooling system design to minimize cycle times and decrease manufacturing costs and optimize part and mold design, material selection and processing parameters.
This role also supports simulation of advanced molding processes including,
- Insert Overmolding.
- Two-shot Injection.
- Multi-shot Injection.
- Powder Metal Injection Molding
The role benefits from Simulation Data Science capabilities enabling all simulation activities, models, and results to be linked, traced, updated, re-used, and analyzed with ease by all impacted users.
Plastic Injection Engineer Benefits
- Virtually test the performance of plastic part and mold tooling designs with an intuitive, guided simulation assistant that minimizes the learning curve.
- A single role covers the needs for all industries, all key workflows, and all user personas.
- Predict common molding defects including: weld-lines, sink marks, air traps and incomplete filling (short shots).
- Evaluate the effectiveness of mold cooling system designs.
- Take advantage of Structural and Process Apps to tackle advanced workflows like non-linear multi-scale material modeling and design of experiments (DOE).
- Simple, easy to use interface with a guided simulation assistant to minimize the learning curve.
- Predicts common molding defects including, weld-lines, sink marks, air traps and incomplete filling (short shots).
- Predicts required injection pressures and tool clamping forces, enabling selection of an appropriate injection molding machine.
- Simulation made accessible on-premise and on-cloud. Execute simulations, store and manage data on premise, private cloud or DS cloud with support for HPC.
Plastic Injection Engineer Highlights
- Guided user interface with automated meshing allow for easy setup of analyses.
- Simulate filling, packing, mold cooling, and warpage phases of injection-molded plastic products.
- Visualize filling animation.
- Results for pressure, temperatures, shear rates, shear stresses, and many more critical aspects of the manufacturing process.
- Detect weld lines, air traps, and sink marks defects.
- Estimate cooling time.
- Optimize cycle time.
- Select contributing parts for cavities, injection system, and cooling system.
- Access thermoplastic, thermoset, mold material, and mold coolant databases.
- Access gate location adviser tool to obtain suggestions for gate placements.
- Analyze single-cavity, multi-cavity, and family mold layouts, including sprues, runners, and gates.
- Analyze hot- and cold-runner systems.
- Evaluate valve gated hot-runner systems.
- Analyze mold cooling line layouts.
- Integration with CATIA Mold & Tooling App to directly access analysis-ready cooling layouts and runner systems.
- Import cooling line layouts and runner systems designed in any CAD system.
- Estimate cycle time, clamp tonnage, and shot size, to optimize feed system design and avoid costly mold rework.
- Simulate filling, packing, warpage, and mold cooling of metallic part inserts (Part Insert Overmolding).
- Evaluate benefits of using localized mold cooling inserts.
- Run simulations independently using restart.
- Exclude runner and part geometry from warp analysis.
- Simulate advanced plastics manufacturing processes, including:
- Part insert overmolding.
- 2-shot overmolding.
- Multi-shot overmolding.
- Thermoset material molding.
- Powder metal injection molding (PIM).
3DEXPERIENCE Role FAQs
SIMULIA 3DEXERIENCE Advantage
Connect with other 3DEXERIENCE roles and take advantage of cloud-computing power for your analysis
Interaction between CAD & PLM
With Structural Performance Engineer, users build simulation models directly on the design geometry.
Tight associativity with CATIA and SOLIDWORKS means that simulation and CAD always remain synchronized even after design changes. It provides access to advanced simulation technology within a consistent and intuitive interface.
Visualization tools support efficient post-processing of large-scale simulation data including an option to use remote machines for rendering and visualization computation.
Plastic Injection Engineer enables interrogation of realistic simulation results with speed, clarity, and control for enhanced decision making.
High Performance Computing
Extensive tools and controls for results display can be used for advanced and collaborative post-processing while utilizing High Performance Computing (HPC) resources to perform results visualization.
Simulation Review application offers Web based visualization of the geometry and simulation results for a unique collaborative experience around Simulation assets.
The 3DEXPERIENCE platform provides a Safe, Social, Connected, Informed and Structured environment for team leaders, project managers and other professionals who want to manage data on the cloud and collaborate without constraints.
Safe: Customer controlled access. Transparent cloud backup. Encrypted communication protocols. Data always safe-no overwrite, no loss of data.
Social: Integrated structured and unstructured collaboration tools enabling social innovation. Collaborate on product design or engage with your stakeholders early in product development.
Connected: Every user always connected to a single, common database. Access data anywhere, anytime, on any device. Review and markup models.
Informed: Choose from the widget library, Create and share Dashboards. Get the latest information about your product development. Always have access to your latest data.
Structured: Zero overhead data management - store and manage data across collaborative spaces, share information in communities. Find indexed data faster by using tags, custom search, etc.
Interested in the Plastic Injection Engineer 3DEXPERIENCE Role?
Contact us and get your questions answered today.
US 440.257.7460 | UK 01926.333777